Thursday, October 05, 2006

Essential Oils and Shea Butter



Well I am back from a much needed vacation! One of the things I enjoyed most while getting some R & R was a truly decadent Shea Butter massage. The massage therapist used a fragrant blend of essential oils mixed with the Shea Butter. I was left feeling uplifted and energized as well as really relaxed. She informed me that the essential oils have wonderful emotional benefits. The following is just a brief list of what essential oils are good for various emotions:

ANGER
Bergamot, Orange, Rose, Neroli

ANXIETY
Clary Sage, Frankincense, Lavender, Patchouli, Vetiver

DEPRESSION
Grapefruit, Helichrysum, Jasmine, Lavender, Lemon, Mandarin, Orange, Rose, Ylang Ylang

FATIGUE
Basil, Bergamot, Black Pepper, Ginger, Cypress, Rosemary, Sandalwood, Lemon, Grapefruit

IRRITABILITY
Lavender, Mandarin, Neroli, Chamomile, Sandalwood

STRESS
Geranium, Lavender, Mandarin, Neroli, Rose, Vetiver, Ylang Ylang

Just because essential oils are derived from plants does not mean they are automatically safe to use. After handling essential oils,it is "essential" to wash one's hands carefully with warm waterand soap. Avoid touching your eyes or putting your fingers inyour mouth.

Because essential oils are so concentrated, it is usually necessary to dilute them with a neutral carrier oil, such as sweet almond, jojoba, or Certified Organic Shea Butter to avoid irritating the skin.

Steph,
Purely Shea
www.purelyshea.com

1 comment:

louieann34 said...

I am always stressed because of work..Every time I came home, all I wanna do is just sleep, and sometimes I never had time to eat. I was never healthy in that case of mine..But now that I found out, that Lavender is such a great Essential Oil for me to use..To relax me, and help me calm my body..It is very different than taking a medication.